How to Protect Your Rights after Getting Injured in a Nighttime Car Accident?

car accident

The low road visibility of the night exposes motorists to more significant accident risks. Data supports that around 40% of road accidents occur at night, despite having 60% less traffic than daytime.

That’s why you should know how to protect your rights after a nighttime car accident if you are a frequent night traveler. You must understand how the Comparative Fault principle works and how an auto accident attorney in Glendale can help you.

What Is the Comparative Fault Law?

fault law

The Comparative Fault Law revolves around distributing the fault to the parties involved in an accident. The judge will determine each driver’s fault percentage, which affects the compensation amount.

For example, the judge may say that you were 30% at fault for the accident and the other driver gets 70%. It means the other driver should pay you $70,000 if the total settlement is $100,000.

Comparative Fault Law is vital in a nighttime car accident case. The low road visibility may make you commit unintentional negligence and cause a car crash. As a result, the judge may assign you a higher fault percentage than expected.

Fortunately, you can still decrease your fault percentage by knowing how to protect your rights after a car accident.

How to Protect Your Rights after a Nighttime Auto Accident

car accident

Whether you are at fault or not in a nighttime car accident, remembering these steps protect your rights:

  1. Exchange vital information with the other driver. That includes the driver’s name, contact information, car’s license plate, car’s description, and car insurance details.
  2. Take multiple pictures of the accident scene and your injuries to use as evidence if you need to file a case.
  3. Call the police and ask for a copy of the police report, which you will need for a legal case.
  4. Collect statements from witnesses and their contact details for easier coordination.
  5. Consult a physician for a medical evaluation within 48 hours. Ask for a copy of the medical report to support your case and a copy of your prescription, treatment records, and medical bills.
  6. Inform your car insurance provider about the accident right away to avoid penalties and revocation of your driver’s license.
  7. Hire a reliable car accident lawyer to handle your case. The Comparative Fault Law in California is complicated, so you need an auto accident attorney in Glendale as a representative.

These steps will help you prove that you have a lesser fault in a car accident so that you receive optimal compensation from the case.

How to Avoid Nighttime Car Accidents

car accident

Knowing what to do after being caught in a nighttime auto accident can help legally protect your rights. However, it’s better to avoid any negligence that can lead to a car crash at night in the first place.

Here are a few tips to keep you safe:

  1. Always follow the speed limit. It’s even better to drive slowly in poor road conditions, like while it rains.
  2. Increase your road visibility as much as possible. Check all the lights of your car and make sure they’re functioning. Check your rearview and side mirrors too. Use your mirrors regularly to check your blind spots, especially before stopping or taking a turn.
  3. Take frequent breaks when on a long trip. Driving while feeling sleepy is as dangerous as drunk driving.
  4. Never drive when you are drunk, whether at night or day.

Consult a Glendale Auto Accident Lawyer to Legally Protect Your Rights

law

Knowing how to protect your rights is essential after meeting a road accident. Remembering the points mentioned above will help you through the legal process.

And hiring an auto accident attorney in Glendale can give you a better advantage.

Scroll to top